[optacon-l] Re: Sight Versus Blindness

  • From: "Steve" <k8sp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 16:21:19 -0400

I think a lot of the research concludes that if one lost their sight before
aged 5 or so, then the adjustment is almost impossible.  Short of miraculous
intervention, the image processing and interpretative correlations have been
formed by the optic nerve and visual cortex by that time.
This is butressed by Mike May's experiences when he had his vision restored in
his mid-forties.  He had lost it around age 4 in a chemical mishap.  The last
chapter of his book "Crashing Through" written by Robert Kurson discusses this
in a lot more depth.  What I recall is the hand-eye coordination stuff like
playing catch was good, but you couldn't recognize what would appear to be
basic stuff like the gender of a person walking down the street.

I'm really anticipating a self-driving car more than a restoration of my vision.

Now, people who lost their sight even after the age of ten may likely have much
different experiences.  Some of the vision restoration done with a bionic eye
in the Netherlands appears to have found better results with people who lst
their vision later in life.

Steve