Re: On the Optacon buzz + some venting

  • From: "John Huffman" <j.huffman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:52:20 -0400

Hi again, Fran,

First, with regard to my response yesterday, I apologize for any tone of
preachiness that may have come through in my trumpeting of braille's
superiority over other modes of reading for the blind.  That wasn't my
intent.  Then, commenting on a few other points from both your messages to
the list:

I, too, once asked about the buzzing produced by vibrating pins that formed
the images on the tactile array.  I was told that buzzing was a byproduct of
vibration, and at that time--circa 1975--there was nothing to be done about
it.  A silent, or at least quieter, Optacon would be an improvement I'm
embarrassed to confess I didn't think of when I filled out my own survey a
few months ago.  This would go a long way toward making the Optacon a device
suitable for use in almost any setting.  Yet I have to smile on recalling
that sometimes while using my Optacon around high levels of background
noise--a vacuum cleaner, just to name one example--I find myself pausing
because I can't hear the buzzing sound that's grown so familiar.

And ... bad news about the book!  Such foul-ups would try the patience of a
saint.

Kind regards,  Jh