Re: On the Optacon buzz + some venting

  • From: "John Huffman" <j.huffman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:35:15 -0400

Hi, Francesca,

I can't offer a scientific answer to your question.  But I recently read
Michael Mellor's biography of Louis Braille and was reminded that raised
print was tried as a reading medium before the invention of braille.  Based
on the results of public demonstrations and the preferences of students
themselves, braille was judged far superior in terms of readability and
space utilization.  It isn't suited to every blind person's needs,
but--given proper instruction and a willingness to practice and maintain
skills, it's proven its worth over nearly 200 years.

Apologies to rest of list for a little off-topic raving.  JH