Re: On the Optacon buzz + some venting

  • From: "Merrill Louise" <merrill.louise@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:03:41 -0400

Fran, Louis Braille had the sort of books you describe with raised
letters. They were *very* big and *very* expensive to make. They also
were *very* time-consuming to read. His system is designed so that
your finger doesn't have to leave the line to feel a shape much like
your camera-tracking hand doesn't have to leave the line to give you
the shape of a printed character with the optacon. I still believe I
am a poor braille reader but practice helps. Maybe your time in class
will do that for you. ~Merrill

On 10/17/06, Francesca Diodati <mdiodat@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just enrolled in a Portuguese class and I'm beginning tomorrow night. I
> decided to have my textbook transcribed into braille because I think the
> optacon buzz is too loud for the other students. One mor reason to wish for
> the elimination of the buzz! :-)
>
> Please allow me some venting...Where else could I vent?? I had to make many
> phone calls to receive the book in advance so that I could take it and have
> it brailled. Now I have the first few chapters in braille, and I was going
> through the first pages because I'm a terrible braille reader and I don't
> want to sound like a fool if the teacher ever asks me to read in class
> tomorrow LOL. I just found out that the circumflex A always got transcribed
> exactly like an R! Now, I'm almost braille illiterate. And I even need to
> remember that when I read R, it may be the R or it may be the A!!
> Nobody's fault...Just braille's fault. I don't know the language, and it's
> hard for me to guess the letters. When the dots are not clearly raised, it's
> so easy to mistake one letter with another. With print, if it's printed
> properly, it is never an issue. It's noe 1 dot that makes a difference, but
> from the whole picture it's easy to know which letter we're seeing.
>
> Which brings me to a silly question, but for which I can find no answer. A
> friend recently asked me why blind people use braille, and why aren't there
> books with raised print whichwe can feel. Honestly I had thought of that
> myself many times. If the size of the letters is the issue, they could make
> many volumes like they do with braille, only, it would have so many
> advantages.
> I guess there is a reason; could anyone explain it to me?
>
> Thanks for letting me blabber...
>
> Fran

Skype: pmlvoice
Phone: 410.504.1969