re: On the Optacon buzz + some venting

  • From: Sharlene Wills <tenagra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:52:14 -0700 (PDT)

Fran, and Everyone,
That you learned the optacon first and then braille is
very interesting.  I don't know whether this sequence
has a bearing on anything, but I do know that, once I
learned the optacon, my own printing (not cursive)
became far, far more legible and that I can, now,
write whole letters to people that are readable.  They
take too long, of course, and, by the end of any note,
my hand is pretty cramped, but, except for the
difficulty, as already mentioned, with "closing up"
letters, most anyone can read what I've printed.
Cursive, though, is elusive in the extreme, and, like
you, I can only sign my name, and even that isn't very
legible.  Actually, I was taught to sign my name when
I was a kid in the day blind school I attended, but I
never really had any practice at it until later, in
high school.  Also, there is paper that has raised
lines, or, at least, there used to be.  In fact, I
believe I still have a tablet of it.  It is slightly
heavier stock than just your regular notebook paper,
but the lines are the usual width, I think, and you
write on the smooth part between them.  We used this
type of paper to learn to, hopefully, write in a
straight line.  But, again, it wasn't until I started
using an optacon that I could stay straight on a page
without the use of a signature guide, or something
like it.
As for wrong books, oh, how well, I'm sure, many, many
of us can sympathize with you on that score!  Hope the
second braille transcription is better than the first.
 But don't be surprised if the professor changes the
book midstream.  Good luck and let's all compose an
Ode of Joy to the Optacon.
Sharlene.