[optacon-l] Re: Nick's device.

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 21:16:06 -0600

Fran:

When I started using the Optacon, I thought allot about the fact that this
device was vibrating the shapes of letters it was seeing onto my finger from a
smooth undotted print page, and what did that mean regarding the nature of
perceived versus actual reality.  Eventually I gave up on struggling with the
conundrum and said, "It is what it is.  I can understand how it works on an
intellectual level, but I don't have to bridge the gap f the seemingly
unknowable.  Similarly, I had light perception until I was about 19, but
couldn't see shadows.  Now, with this device, I don't get light perception, but
I have seen the shadow of my Mobility instructor on the floor of the Hilton
where I work.  I saw the shadow move as she moved, saw changes of the shadow as
I tried to touch its  shape on the floor, or moved into the light producing it.
 These and the other things I've experienced, are, according to my sighted
friends not exactly what they see because there are only 400 pixels in the
image, and, they are gray-scale rather than color.  But I've been able to
repeatedly identify colors on that scale, have seen things I could never touch
or imagine, so it is close enough to sight it will have to do for now, until
the device evolves, or other devices--someday perhaps directly stimulating the
visual cortex with a much denser matrix come along and I can experience them...

Nick