[optacon-l] Re: AW: Re: To All Subscribers Of This List

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:45:18 -0600

Hi Ollie and everyone!

Yes, a teacher can definitely make or break a class.  It's sad to read that
some Optacon teachers said the Optacon was useless.  I learned how to use
the Optacon in 1981.  My teacher was a very proficient total who exposed me
to many types of reading material.  I was told to bring a book I wanted to
read.

The opposite can be true.  When I was looking for the right access
technology for my first computer in 1991, I went to a few access technology
demonstrations in my area.  I live in central Illinois.  All of them seemed
to be pushing JAWS very hard.  I did my homework and chose Vocal-Eyes
instead and have been a customer of GW Micro ever since.  It's the right
one for me, so I'm glad I did my homework and chose my screen reader and
synthesizer independantly rather than folowing any hype.

Ever since I saw a story about the Optacon on a TV news program where Candy
was reading, I knew I wanted one.  I was so excited to know such a thing
existed.  When I was a child, I used to enjoy paging through my mom's
books.  I dreamed of reading print books someday, but didn't know how it
could be possible, but imagine there would be a way.

During my two-week Optacon training, after working with it all day, I'd
come back to the dorm and read my book in the evenings rather than watching
TV or goofing off.  My teacher could tell I was reading, because she saw my
improvement.  I still use it almost every day.

Debby

At 07:36 AM 11/5/2012, Mallard wrote

                                 --
                 mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
--

"Teach me, and I will hold my tongue
; Cause me to understand wherein I have erred.