[muglo] Re: Troubleshooting OS X e-book

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:49:42 -0400

On 8/8/05, Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx> wrote:
>=20
> On 8-Aug-05, at 11:38 AM, Leith Peterson wrote:
>=20
> > Regarding my question about disk utilities for OS 10.3, I believe
> > I've found the answer in the e-book I just bought:  Troubleshooting
> > OS X, 2nd ed.  I think it's definitely worth the $15 US.  It covers
> > Jaguar (10.2) and Panther (10.3) and is about 500 pages long.
> >
> > The author recommends "at a minimum you purchase both Disk Warrior
> > and either Drive 10 or Tech Tool Pro."  He recommends in a later note
> > Disk Warrior 3.0.1
> >
> > However, if any of you have any anecdotal experience you'd like to
> > share, pls let me know.
> >
> > I definitely recommend checking out this book if you're using Jaguar
> > or Panther:
> >
> > http://www.thexlab.com/book/troubleshootingmacosx.html
> >
> > Leith
>=20
> As usual, I think you are being grossly over protective & cautious
> without adequate reason. OS/X Disk Utility; Disk First Aid equivalent;
> does a good basic job. Karl has some good suggestions for freebies,
> both of which I have tried out. Mac world gave a good rating to both.
> Disk Warrior is generally considered to be the best for X, but Tech
> Tool was upgraded fairly recently & is good.
> TTFN,
> TeeC

Caveat: the freebies will not actually fix any disk-related problems
(these are pretty complex issues), so, you can't rely on to fix your
disk(s).

Eric (dreading the re-install of OS X which is looming over my
computer... maybe I should go out and get OS X 10.4 while I'm at
it?... this particular install was installed Nov/03 so I've got the
better part of two years out of it (and, this is from someone who'd
reinstall OS 8/9 every three months or so just to weed out the OS 9
chaff that would build up in such a short period ;-)).

Eric.