[muglo] Re: Switching from OS9 to OS10

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:50:19 -0500

>From: Ilbert Walker <walker@xxxxxxxx>

>I hear you Tee !
>
>Likewise - Panther 'disinherited' my UMAX scanner.

Have you checked out VueScan or SilverFast (www.versiontracker.com)? Of
course, it may be cheaper simply to sell the UMAX (... I've never liked UMAX
anyway... they're a low-quality/low-cost scanner and have always had @#$!%
software suppor) and buy another scanner.

>Which is why the sound advice for those considering the change is NOT
>to switch until such time as new hardware needs to be purchased ?

Well, it depends on what hardware. If your hardware is 5 years old and from
some low-cost/low-support producer/re-seller chances are you don't have any
choices.

Better companies (_some_ printer companies) or cos with simpler products
(e.g. mice) will naturally provide support under OS X.

The reason a lot of the smaller cos and low-cost producers never produced OS
X drivers is simply the cost. They inherited/bought OS 9 code so their R&D
costs were minimal. Unix/Linux would have been the alternate choice but
since Linux/Unix was such a small % of the market with OS 9 was still around
they never bothered to do the update.

The reason OS X broke *all* OS 9 drivers is that OS X has *nothing* in
common with OS 9, and, as I've written before, had OS X not broken entirely
from the OS 9 legacy we'd all be using cheap clones running Windows now and
swearing at our computers (since OS 9 was a dead operating system... I hate
to admit it but Windows 2000 was looking damn smart compared to OS 9 (Win
2000 was the contemporary to OS 9... IMNSHO Win 2000 is *better* than Win XP
for GUI).

>Must be that Apple get a % rakeoff from all those peripheral guys  ?

Or that the peripheral guys who sold us a bill of goods were too cheap to
support their hardware. Kensington did right by its users (is that the
saying?) as did Griffin Technologies and many others! UMAX is a not-so-nice
outfit so I'm not surprised to see that 3rd parties had to pick up their
slack.

>I bet our little Steve gets free lunches everywhere !

I wouldn't take your bet ;)

>And possibly also,  why I acquired the name of Machiavelli when I ran
>the Fanshawe Mac Labs :)  LOL !

Machiavelli is ringing bells in the deep recesses of my memory (of course,
I'm already suffering from dementia ;-P

Eric.