[muglo] Re: ISP [formerly (no subject)]

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:04:22 -0400

on 20/8/02 01:51, Alex at admeddemda@xxxxxx wrote:

> if you;re lucky enough to live in toronto, you have much better
> reception and channels

Yeah, right! It's not like we really have a much better channel selection in
TO (then again, I have cable (free... the cable guy was the one who messed
around with the box and hooked us up (by accident to the ultimate
package)... how can you argue with the cable company being the one to give
you cable (we cancelled our cable first, it was cancelled, and then the
cable guy came in to fix things properly :) :) :) :)

(PS If you have over-the-airwaves TV... for some reason City TV is actually
the *worst* channel for me here downtown)

IIRC one of the best places for reception is in the Niagara region...
something like 10 or 15 channels over the air (most of them US, and two
comedy (religion) channels... I think I once saw the van Dam (or van Dame or
something like that) ministry & those guys were both hilarious (in the way
they talked) and *extremely* scary (this was at the time the US was starting
to talk fight fight fight and these guys were saying things like "God is
with America. God wants us to wipe out the infidels." etc... plus, they had
some *really* dumb blonde bimbo reading the world news and it was downright
funny the kind of editorialising (and complete misinformation) they were
doing).

Count your blessings (pun intended) with only six channels -- we don't have
the crap they get in the US.

> cable should be free. All the ads are insane. You can get free
> internet service on a pc if you watch some ads, and they dont take up
> the whole screen for 1/4 of the time you;re on the net!

No kidding -- $20-30/month certainly is far more than what is needed to
recoup infrastructure costs for distributing the signal and providing a
reasonable income. This is why VCRs are great... fast forward (I despise ads
with a passion... PS there's a fairly decent "proxy" ad/JavaScript filter
for OS X... privoxy (OSS & stable)).

Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>