[AR] Re: body mass and size of Apollo astronauts

  • From: David McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 19:09:32 -0400

On 10/10/2013 10:52 AM, James Padfield wrote:

I seem to remember an anecdote (it was possibly either from "Moondust" by Andrew Smith, or "A Man on the Moon" by Andrew Chaikin - both very good books BTW) that talked about one of the astronauts (possibly Rusty Schweickart but I'm not sure on that) jumping up and down on the spot for several hours the night before his medical, to attempt to compress his spine so that he'd be shorter in the morning, in order to make it in under the six foot limit....

(Thinking about it, it may have been in "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe).

I know it came up in "From Earth to the Moon," but I can't recall who it was about. I have a vague memory it was one of the astronauts who died in non-flight, non-Apollo-1 accidents during the program, but I'd have to break out the DVD set to be sure.