[AR] Re: body mass and size of Apollo astronauts

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 23:34:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013, Chris Jones wrote:
> ... Thomas Stafford was 6'0" and selected in the second group.  I
> remember hearing that when he flew (twice) on Gemini, the hatch above
> his head had to be modified (the term I recall was "scalloped", I'm
> guessing by having some padding removed) to accommadate his helmeted
> head.

The Gemini developers made one mistake:  the astronaut who was assigned to
ride herd on Gemini development was Gus Grissom, and a lot of the detail
design of the cabin was based on tests done on him... and he was one of
the smallest astronauts.  So the "Gusmobile" was distinctly cramped for
the big guys like Stafford.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)