[AR] Re: Project update - propellant tank hydro tests

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:21:54 -0600

Since the shaft seal needs to keep the LOX in, I used one of the McMaster PTFE spring energized seals. I found suggested gland dimensions in the Balseal catalog (close enough) but had to modify them a bit. The tube in the middle is nominally 1 inch OD but since it isn't perfectly round, I turned it down to 0.995. So, I just adjusted the seal gland dimensions by -0.005 for both the OD and ID. With a good chamfer on the tube, I was able to insert it without too much effort. I think this "rod wiper" kind of seal tends to expand and seal better under pressure doesn't it? The cup with the spring side points toward the liquid.

-Bob

On 11/18/2013 01:45 PM, Ben Brockert wrote:
Ha, Rocket 1. I was giving the Copenhagen guys a hard time last week
about un-creatively calling their huge new building "HAB 2".

That's an impressive set of parts. Did you do anything special in
analyzing the design of the shaft seal? I usually avoid that style of
seal design because the operating pressure is trying to unseal it, but
I haven't done the calc to see how the pressure compares to the
preload.

Ben

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Robert Watzlavick
<rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I completed hydro-testing today on a prototype tank based on the design I
mentioned a few weeks ago.

In summary, no leakage or damage was observed after 2 cycles to 750 psi.
There looks to be a small amount of permanent deformation in the center of
the bulkheads (~0.005 inches) but nothing to worry about.  While assembling
the parts, as the o-ring slid past the tank wall holes, it shredded some
small pieces off.  I didn't debur the inside hole edge as well as I could
have so I'll clean them up a bit and see if it helps.

Discussion is at:
http://www.watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/

photos are at:
http://www.watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/rocket1/photos/index.html