[AR] Re: Project update - propellant tank hydro tests

  • From: Nathan Mogk <nm8911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:21:52 -0700

There is a rule of thumb which you can use to predict a little bit, along
with a reiteration of Henry's statement about there being no better method
than testing for a particular alloy. Face-centered cubic crystal structures
tend to not become embrittled at low temperatures, since there are a lot of
nice, low energy slip planes. Aluminum and some stainless steels fall into
this category. Other steels are much more hit or miss, and I think in
general that the higher the carbon content, the more likely it will become
brittle at low temperatures.