[AR] Re: Project update - propellant tank hydro tests

  • From: qbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 13:40:40 -0700

Our 6" Condor tank was nearly the same except the actual tank was fiberglass and nearly 8 ft long and the bottom had a shallow cone to drain all the peroxide out. We also used a aluminium band on the oust side to give the screws something to hold on to other than fiberglass. We also used a thin PTFE layer against the fiberglass for safety and a piston to make sure all the peroxide went out the bottom. I got the idea of the design and piston from the Hybrid guys. No need for anti-slosh baffles. We had our in-flight tanks tested to 600psi and one tested to destruction at about 1050psi

Robert

At 12:21 PM 11/18/2013, you wrote:
Nice write-up. I haven't found it necessary to use anti-slosh baffles on the rockets I've flown with 7 and 8" diameter tanks. Anyone else have any experience that differs?

--- Carl

On 11/17/2013 8:15 PM, Robert Watzlavick wrote:
I completed hydro-testing today on a prototype tank based on the design I mentioned a few weeks ago.

In summary, no leakage or damage was observed after 2 cycles to 750 psi. There looks to be a small amount of permanent deformation in the center of the bulkheads (~0.005 inches) but nothing to worry about. While assembling the parts, as the o-ring slid past the tank wall holes, it shredded some small pieces off. I didn't debur the inside hole edge as well as I could have so I'll clean them up a bit and see if it helps.

Discussion is at:
http://www.watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/

photos are at:
http://www.watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/rocket1/photos/index.html