[AR] Re: LOX valves

  • From: "Graham Sortino" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gnsortino@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:05:57 +0000 (UTC)

If someone with the requisite experience could put together a how-to guide for
building actuated cryo compatible valves I think that would be a valuable
service to the list. This sounds like one of those subjects that can be
somewhat tricky to figure out but there probably is a way to share best
practices. I'm thinking something along the lines of what RM did for his servo
actuated valves:
http://rocketmoonlighting.blogspot.com/2013/02/more-valves.html but cryo
compatible.

     On Friday, October 31, 2014 12:42 PM, Carl Tedesco
<ctedesco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Rick,

 Such a valve is not readily available that I am aware of. Here are some
alternatives ideas:

   - Buy a 3 piece stainless steel ball valve (with teflon seals & seats).
These come in socket weld ports or female NPT. Then screw or weld your own -8
AN fittings on the end. Are you trying to omit a pipe thread seal? Don't forget
to drill a vent hole in the ball (debur it well so it doesn't scratch the ball
seals). Clean it well too. Add a small film of krytox to the ball and seals
when re-assembling.

   - McMaster Carr has these AN port ball valves....
http://www.mcmaster.com/#3710k33/=ue4zy6. Not LOX rated. Also, only rated to
200 psi. I believe Paul Breed tested one to higher pressure. You might contact
him and ask him for details.  Ditto with the cleaning, krytox'ing, and venting
the ball.
   - Call Carlos at Norton sales. He may have something.
 --- Carl