[AR] Re: Chamber pressure testing

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "JMKrell@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:11:30 -0400

I used  a similar plumbers tool testing solid casings. One modification was
a conical  lower plug that matched the nozzle. This relieved the
differential pressure on  the graphite throat insert. I remember Ray Goodson
testing
one of his engine  assemblies to ~1700 psi with hydraulic fluid.
A  cautionary note: acoustical standing waves cannot be hydrostatically
replicated.  I had engines fail at significantly lower pressures than what we
hydrostatic tested.
Krell

In a message dated 9/10/2014 6:41:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
wclaybaugh2@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

There is  a standard plumbing tool that consists of a rubber plug with
metal caps at  both ends and a bolt running between; the bolt is sealed with
rubber  washers.  Tightening the bolt expands the rubber plug and seals the
opening.

Obviously, this would need to be customized for your specific  diameter and
I am skeptical it will hold more than a few hundred psia.   Ben's caution
about differential pressure pertains.

Bill

Sent  from my iPhone

http://www.watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/regenChamber3/tests/dsc_1840m.jpg