Re: optacon on ipaq

  • From: "sharron kennedy" <shelena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:51:45 -0500

Hi there!
Well, I freely admit I'm not extremely savvy technically speaking, but I am
certain I have read on some web pages regarding the PacMate that the Ipaq is
the
base technology for palm devices such as the PacMate and also the Maestro,
which
Visuaide manufactures for its global positioning system program.  I realize
Freedom Scientific was not interested in the Optacon Project initially and
perhaps they may not be the ones to work on it now, but I still wonder if it
could become one of the accessories which could be used with the PacMate in the
future.  If the print reading display needs to be used in conjunction with a
Braille display, that could exclude many people who are not fortunate enough to
own a Braille display, although it appears prices of smaller Braille displays
are comings down and if a print reading display could be added to the Pacmate,
it may be a good reason to invest in one.
I appreciate the fact that right now, I can use my Optacon independent of any
other technology and I find that extremely handy, but one of these days, my
faithful Optacon is going to fail me.  I feel it would be most preferred if an
Optacon type device could still be able to function on its own, but made to
hook
to other devices if desired.

Perhaps that is too much to hope for.
Just my thoughts.