[optacon-l] Re: brain port

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 17:49:33 -0600

First, I don't currently know if they're looking for participants in another
trial, or when that would be.  Next, you've got to have one of the facilities
with a lab to do the training and evaluations which are part of the trial
within a realistic transportation range.  And yes, as I said, I'm congenitally
blind, in fact, blind at birth from R.O.P. if you're politically correct, or
R.L.F. if you're wanting to understand the pathology.  (grin)

I'm am one of the first groups of congenitally blind to be tested with the
device, and answering the long held skepticism about the ability of
congenitally blind person's ability to profit from some sort of prosthetic
analog to a functional visual system was part of what they are trying to find
out for themselves as well as answering the concerns of the F.D.A.  I've
learned that the brain's ability to interpolate data is more plastic than I
suspected.

Certainly, the evolution of such technologies and their User Interfaces and
training techniques will redefine the definitions of the nature of blindness we
blind and sighted folks will have.  It seems to me, such non-invasive
technologies will be less problematic, less expensive, and less difficult to
upgrade than implant-oriented solutions.

Nick