[optacon-l] Was: "AW: Re: To All Subscribers Of This List" Now: Motivation contrasted with potential utility of the Optacon or other Adaptive Technologies

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 07:54:54 -0600

I remember getting to try the Optacon at my parent's home, and working from
10:00am that morning through after 4:00pm the next day without sleep, and
with as few breaks for food Etc., that I could get away with.  The idea of
being able to read smooth brailleless printed pages held such allure.  Until
I ventured into the Strozier Library at Florida State University, and
understood the glimmerings of how many print books there were in 1972, I had
hoped to read everything I wanted to read and learn about.  I was so
saddened and surprised by the realization that wouldn't be possible, I cried
right then and there not caring who saw me...  (grin)  That made it easier
to deal with the realization I couldn't read everything with OCR when I  got
my Kurzweil Personal Reader in August of 1989.

Sometimes getting a realistic perspective is valuable even though
disconserting...

Nick