Re: Stuff from house cleaning

  • From: Robert Englebretson <renglebr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:17:57 -0700 (PDT)

  Dear Catherine and list,
  This kind of thing is not only possible, but extremely easy. The best way
  to do this would be to create an image-based PDF--something which is simple
  do if you have a scanner and the full version of Adobe Acrobat, and even
  most high-end photocopy machines can do this automatically these days. That
  will preserve the appearance of the printed page exactly as it is (fonts,
  layout, etc). Then anyone who wants a copy of the manual can print it out
  on an inkjet or laser printer and read it with the Optacon as intended. Or,
  if you just want the text without the layout and fonts (i.e. to read for
  informational purposes), you can run OCR on the PDF image file yourself
  using Kurzweil or OpenBook.
  If no one else wishes to do this, and if Jim hasn't sent the manuals away
  yet, I'd be glad to take this on. I could put it through our bulk scanner
  and have it done in no time.
  A word of warning though. Since the PDF will contain an image for each
  page, the files will be way too huge to send around on e-mail. Probably
  around a hundred MB per manual. But that's unavoidable, since the point
  of scanning these manuals would be to preserve the pages intact. So they
  would either need to be posted on a web site that has sufficient space, or
  sent around on CD.
  Who is the copyright holder of the manuals? We would need to get
  permissions before distributing them to people in this way.
  Best,
  --Robert Englebretson