[optacon-l] Re: John Linvill's obituary

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:40:22 -0600

The first night I was allowed to borrow an Optacon over night in 1972 I
worked with the practice materials a tracking guide and display (display for
parents and brothers and sisters dragooned into helping when needed) and
with random materials I read for over 30 hours without breaks for bathroom
and eating...  I remember the first time I borrowed an Optacon from the
Student Learning Lab I helped to get going at FSU; I took it the the
Strozier Library and wept when I started exploring the shelves and realized
there was more print in that building than I could ever read in several
lifetimes even though I wanted to learn and absorb it all.  To some degree,
my ability to read random memos in Don Wedewer's briefcase (head of FL DBS
who lost his legs in the Battle of the Bulge and sight when the Field
hospital he was in was bombed) as he was bitter and skeptical about
technology as he and his cohorts were promised portable radar sets they
could carry on their backs to help with mobility.  Reading books in airport
lounges between flights, I cadged many a free drink demonstrating what could
be done with the Optacon.  There are many more mundane useful recollections,
but these are the ones which make me to myself...

Nick