[optacon-l] Introduction

  • From: "S Johnson" <sjohnson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:37:20 -0400

Hello:

I am a new member.  I've been an Optacon user since 1976.  I am totally blind
and live in Upstate New York.

 .  I found out about the list from the person who is currently repairing my
Optacon.  He knew I was looking for a typewriter lens
so he told me about one mentioned on this list.  I went to the archives and
read the posts.  If it is still available, I am
extremely interested.  My manual typewriter is an Adler, probably like the one
Wendy described in her post.  Wendy, if it is still
available, write to me off list to make arrangements.

I was very glad to find out about this list.  I do not know any other blind
people who are Optacon users.  The few blind people I
know think I'm strange not to just use a scanner.  I try to tell them that
scanners cannot read prescription bottles, jars cans,
labels on clothing and many other things.  I've even used it to try and tell my
lighter item of clothes from the darker one when the
Braille tags came off in the wash.  Believe it or not, it did work.  The
vibrations were much harder with the darker items and very
little on the lighter items.  I can probably think of lots of other stuff but,
I think all of you already know how versatile the
Optacon is as compared to scanners.  I also like the idea of being able to
check things as they come out of my computer printer.
There is nothing more embarrassing than mailing a blank envelope because you
ran out of ink or mailing something that doesn't look
right.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Sandra Johnson