[muglo] Re: network connections

  • From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:05:27 -0500

hmmm....

I seem no farther ahead actually. I can get some of the computers up
on the internet, but I can't get them to recognize or be recognized
somehow by the network. When you use Command-shift-K the Network
window comes up blank, but if I use the IP address in Go/Connect  to
server, the network behaves properly.

Now this is obviously some protocols banging heads in the wires
themselves, because I obviously need Appletalk for things to behave
like they used to, but I am obliged now to use PPPoe and TCP/IP.

For instance, the HP Laserjet, which is ethernet connected, and
plugged into the router, can't be found by any of the computers...
just as any of the computers cannot find each other... unless you
tell them the IP address to go to.

I suppose I can just continue to use separate locations, and switch
to the APPLETALK ON/PPP OFF one when I need to print.

If I could find the IP address for the Laserjet, I suppose I could
figure out how to print to it.

Naively, maybe, I thought the router would have the smarts here.

Do I need the printer running off a hub connected to the router?

No one, no one is here. We stand in the Atlantic. We become panoramic.
          __________<http://home.golden.net/~samu>__________