[muglo] Re: StuffIt and DropZip

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:59:44 -0500

> > Besides, it's easy to create and decompress .zip files. Right-click on a
> > file, folder or group of uncompressed files and you can automagically
>create
> > a .zip file with Create Archive. Double-click or right-click on the .zip
> > archive to decompress. Simple, no fuss, no muss and no CLUI involved.
>

>Does this work with 10.2.8?  Timely topic since my daughter just
>wrote and said she needed to open some zip files.  She downloaded
>a shareware app but if OS X can do it all the better.  I wasn't
>really able to help since I'm still hovering with OS 9.2 until I
>can replace my antiquated equipment (G3 233 & Bondi Blue!) with
>something that will run X comfortably.

Don't know if Finder 10.2.8 does that!

Stuffit Expander (the one included in all OS X installs) ought to be able to
unzip files as is. If double-clicking on the .zip file doesn't open it,
right-click on the file and open with Stuffit Expander or open up SE and
drop the file onto the SE icon!

Alternately, ALL versions of OS X come with command-line utilities that can
deal with zip files and guess what the utilities are called (even a complete
computer novice could figure this one out :-).

zip & unzip.

If she's not familiar with the CLUI don't worry, it's EASY (once you get the
basics). Fire up 'Terminal.app' found in the Utilities(??) folder.

Basics _everyone_ ought to know: (especially anyone who ever used MS DOS;
also, ignore the quotes when typing commands at the shell)

cd = change directory
'pwd' = prints the working directory (useful if you "get lost")
'ls' = list files ('dir' in DOS);
'cd ~' = move the current working directory (abbreviated by me to cwd) to
the main level of "home" (i.e. where you find the Documents, Movies,
Desktop, etc. folders for the current user)
'cd /' = move the cwd to the "root", the base level of the hard-drive

So, let's say that the file, My research project.zip, is found on the
desktop of your daughter's OS X account. She'd open up the Terminal and find
herself in the current working directory of:
/Users/martinsdaughter/
She'd type:
cd Desktop
Then, to unzip the file she has a variety of choices:
1. unzip My\ research\ project.zip
2. unzip "My research project.zip"
3. unzip My*.zip
4. unzip *.zip

Obviously, if it's a simple name like Research.zip all you'd need is:
unzip Research.zip

Spaces in file names cause problems on the command line and have to be dealt
with in a special way. You can lable each one separately by entering \
before each space, or, you can put the whole name between quotes ("").

#3 will unzip all .zip files starting with My and ending in .zip, #4 will
unzip all files ending in .zip

Advanced items:
'ls -lR' = list files with details (l) and recurse through directories (R);
'ls -lR|less' = list files with details but allows you to control the output
so you can read it at your leisure (you can also use 'more' instead of
'less'; lists files as above but allows you to control the listing by
pressing up/down arrow keys/space, q to quit; more is even simpler, all you
do is go forward)
'ls -lR|grep hello' = lists files as above, and the "grep" command only
displays lines which contain hello

To cd into a directory contain spaces you can use the trick shown above, or
be lazy. Let's say you have the following directories:
Josi files
Josi pictures
Josi movies

You want to get into Josie's pictures... you could
cd Josi\ p*