[muglo] Re: StuffIt and DropZip

  • From: Mary <iMary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:53:38 -0500

At 9:59 PM -0800 12/10/04, Kathryn-Jane Hazel wrote:

>Dear Muglo-ites:
>
>I want to compress some files but apparently I don't have the program
>for it,

There is a compression utility built-in in Panther.

"Zip Compression in the Finder -- A quiet addition to Panther is the
capability to create .zip archives in the Finder. The Windows world
has pretty much standardized on the .zip format, so this becomes an
easy way to transfer files across platforms. [..] Select one or more
files in the Finder and choose "Create Archive of [filename]" from
the File menu or from the contextual menu (Control-click to bring
this up)."

For more info, look in Finder Help, search on "compression" or "archive".

>  although my friendly neighbourhood techie says StuffIt with
>DropZip should have been bundled in with my OS X Panther.

Only the free Expander is included.

>I have StuffitExpander but not StuffIt.  What is the correct version of
>StuffIt for my Mac G4? I have OS 10.3.6.  CAn i get it for free? Or do
>I have to go to the Aladdin site to download it?

Try Panther's utility first. If necessary, the StuffIt product is
available but getting it is a wee bit complicated.

  Mary