[muglo] Re: StuffIt and DropZip

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:03:44 -0500

I would caution people AGAINST using gzip and gunzip unless they know their
target audience. .gz files are not at all the same as .zip files and far
fewer decompression apps will know what to do with .gz files. Additionally,
.gz is for all practical purposes as *nix format.

Yes, it fully works with Mac OS X (since OS X is a *nix itself) but if you
plan to send your files to others then you're best off using .sit or .zip
compression formats.

Besides, it's easy to create and decompress .zip files. Right-click on a
file, folder or group of uncompressed files and you can automagically create
a .zip file with Create Archive. Double-click or right-click on the .zip
archive to decompress. Simple, no fuss, no muss and no CLUI involved.

Eric.