[muglo] Re: Postscript printing

  • From: Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:20:04 -0400

On 13-Sep-05, at 4:08 PM, Martin Albinger wrote:

> I think you may need an Appletalk to Ethernet bridge. Asant=E9 is
> one=20 name that comes to mind who makes them cost when I bought mine
> was=20 about $130.  This will allow you to connect the printer via
> ethernet to=20= your computer and it should show up in the Appletalk
> option in Print=20 Utility I think.
> I'm using an 8 year old HP 5MP and it runs fine.  I must admit that
> is=20= is being run on a router with a print server port using the
> parrallel=20 cable connection.  I did use the same printer on a
> similar router using=20= the bridge set-up described above but on Mac
> OS 8.1 through 8.5 then=20 switched to the printer server method
> (faster !) when I got the router=20= with print server.
> Join the rapidly obsolescing luddite crowd.  I haven't retired yet
> (and=20= hopefully not for awhile longer) and I find it all a bit
> overwhelming=20 too!  There is just so much new stuff why bother when
> the old stuff=20 seems to work well enough for me.
> When I bought my printer it was $1300, you can get something that=20
> prints faster at more resolution for <$400 but how long it will last
> I=20= don't know.  Your Epson should show up when you click Add a
> Printer in=20= the Print utility (unless it too is really old)
> Perhaps Tee will chime=20= in re: the latter printer as I am not
> familiar with it.
>
> Keep plugging away!
>
> Martin

Yes Martin, The Epson will show up, but it's 10-15 times as expensive
to run than the Select 300; 1c versus 10-15c a copy. The bridge won't
work with the Select in X, which has Appletalk only.
BTW all, my neighbour tells me that Horton St. just got in a bunch of
HP M series Lasers, which will work with X!
TTFN,
TeeC