[muglo] Re: Postscript printing

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:08:50 -0400

On 13-Sep-05, at 2:26 PM, William R McGrath wrote:

> I have made the big swithch to system ten (Panther) but can't get my=20=

> printer
> drivers (Laserwriter Select 300) into OS X.

I think you may need an Appletalk to Ethernet bridge. Asant=E9 is one=20
name that comes to mind who makes them cost when I bought mine was=20
about $130.  This will allow you to connect the printer via ethernet to=20=

your computer and it should show up in the Appletalk option in Print=20
Utility I think.

> It seems that Apple is no longer making postscript, nor any other,=20
> printers.
> Are postscript printers still being sold/used or are the new=20
> laserwriters
> really that good?

I'm using an 8 year old HP 5MP and it runs fine.  I must admit that is=20=

is being run on a router with a print server port using the parrallel=20
cable connection.  I did use the same printer on a similar router using=20=

the bridge set-up described above but on Mac OS 8.1 through 8.5 then=20
switched to the printer server method (faster !) when I got the router=20=

with print server.

> I know I have missed something but then that is nothing new for me.=20
> Since I
> retired, there has been an alarming increase in the number of things I=20=

> have
> no knowledge of whatsoever.

Join the rapidly obsolescing luddite crowd.  I haven't retired yet (and=20=

hopefully not for awhile longer) and I find it all a bit overwhelming=20
too!  There is just so much new stuff why bother when the old stuff=20
seems to work well enough for me.

> Would you folks please enlighten me on the state of printing today.=20
> What
> should I be looking for in printing technology. My current setup=20
> includes
> the aforementioned postscript printer and an Epson Stylus Photo R200.

When I bought my printer it was $1300, you can get something that=20
prints faster at more resolution for <$400 but how long it will last I=20=

don't know.  Your Epson should show up when you click Add a Printer in=20=

the Print utility (unless it too is really old)  Perhaps Tee will chime=20=

in re: the latter printer as I am not familiar with it.

Keep plugging away!

Martin