[muglo] Re: Patchburn and LG GSA 4163B w Firewire Case

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:30:54 -0400

On 8/31/05, Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx> wrote:
>=20
> On 30-Aug-05, at 7:28 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> > My personal inclination is to go with the slightly more expensive
> > 5163D. You already know that it works with Macs and, for the cost
> > savings of $10 or $20, I don't think it's worth mixing-and-matching
> > (of course, that is only my personal opinion) (if the savings were a
> > larger % of the price I'd say do it).
>=20
> Knowing somewhat of Leiths' finances, like most of us, $10 or $20 is a
> lot, especially after Tax!

You may be forgetting inflation since $20 is not even 0.1% of MOST
people's income nowadays ($20,000 being the bottom cut off for my
"most" (given that the median income is a bit over $40000 and top 10%
start at $64K (2003?)). Last time I checked, 0.1% of income is
effectively "disposable".

> > PS Tee: there are only a few drive cases that allow hot swapping of
> > the IDE device itself (i.e. where you can switch the actual IDE
> > device, and not just the FireWire/USB connection... swap one 80 GB
> > drive for a 100 GB drive "on the fly" in the hard drive case).
>=20
> Don't know too many idiots that would try a swap without turning off
> the power. I've been around Mac/Apples since 1983, so why do you always
> assume that I know nothing?

Those idiots that would like to be able to swap drives on the fly
without having extra FireWire cases kicking around for each drive do
drive swapping. Drive swapping (not FW drive swapping) is originally
what "hot swappable" meant. You can get "bays" for towers that allow
you to do that as well. You don't have to turn off the power to the
computer to do computer surgery (these devices are particularly
important in servers).

If you'd like to see "real" hot swapping in action, check out the
XServes (<http://www.apple.com/ca/xserve/>) with their "[u]p to 1.2 TB
of hot-swappable storage"!

As for "knowing nothing"... I don't know whether your do or don't,
I'll leave that for you to judge for yourself!

Eric.