[muglo] Re: Patchburn and LG GSA 4163B w Firewire Case

  • From: Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:12:59 -0400

On 30-Aug-05, at 7:28 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> My personal inclination is to go with the slightly more expensive
> 5163D. You already know that it works with Macs and, for the cost
> savings of $10 or $20, I don't think it's worth mixing-and-matching
> (of course, that is only my personal opinion) (if the savings were a
> larger % of the price I'd say do it).

Knowing somewhat of Leiths' finances, like most of us, $10 or $20 is a
lot, especially after Tax!

> Just to clarify this statement: ALL USB and FireWire devices are
> "hotswapable". You can safely (for the hardware) connect and
> disconnect the devices. However, you should ALWAYS unmount a drive
> before disconnecting it (for the sake of the data integrity).

That's why I said drop in the trash.

> PS Tee: there are only a few drive cases that allow hot swapping of
> the IDE device itself (i.e. where you can switch the actual IDE
> device, and not just the FireWire/USB connection... swap one 80 GB
> drive for a 100 GB drive "on the fly" in the hard drive case).
>
> Eric.

Don't know too many idiots that would try a swap without turning off
the power. I've been around Mac/Apples since 1983, so why do you always
assume that I know nothing?
TTFN,
TeeC