[muglo] Re: Ethernet conundrum

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:31:05 -0500

on 6/11/02 08:39, Eurogarth at eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I moved my Quadra 700 from one side of the house to another. Now, well
>> not 'now', but for some reason in consequence of the move, I cannot get
>> the Quadra's Ethernet to function again. I have been through a half-dozen
>> cables and a few dozen reconectors, new cables, new connectors. The new
>> cable works with the printer, not with the Mac
>>
>> I have zapped PRAM, deleted prefs for all the network stuff I can find.
>> It may yet be a software problem... out of the blue, and I haven't
>> reinstalled the OS, though I suspect it won't help at all.
>>
>> I am left only with a few suspicions that are testable. It is either the
>> Ethernet connection on the Motherboard... unlikely... or the AAUI
>> dongle/connector. Does anyone have a comparable machine using such a
>> connector, or an Ethernet card for an ADB Mac bypassing the AAUI dongle?

Is this your problem, Eurogarth?

A few things... make sure that your 700 is hooked up to an *active* ethernet
port before you power up.

So, what is the 700 connected to? Another Mac? A hub? A printer? A cable
modem?

If it's a hub: you should see a light on the hub indicating an active
computer at that port.

If it's a Mac: make sure that the other Mac is powered on, and has ethernet
active, before you turn on the 700. You then have to tell the 700 to use
ethernet for TCP/IP or AppleTalk (I can't check what control panels normally
say since the B&W G3 *only* has ethernet as a conduit to the outside world).
Plus, you of course need to use a cross-over cable in this case (unless
you're hooking up to a brand spanking new Titanium... they have
auto-negotiation for ethernet).

A printer. Same deal. Have it turned on first.

Good luck.

Are you using the right cables? Patch/crossover/direct/whatever?

L8r, Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>