[muglo] Re: Ethernet conundrum

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 11:44:27 -0500

Ok, I'm still a little fuzzy on what your setup is... and what problems you
are having... but...

on 6/11/02 19:14, doug at samu.at.golden.net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> A few things... make sure that your 700 is hooked up to an *active* ethernet
>> port before you power up.
>
> conditional word is 'active'. That is what i'm testing. Is the plug on
> the quadra motherboard an active ethernet port...

Don't even begin to mess with the Quadra mobo -- you'll destroy your
computer long before you trouble-shoot a problem (unless you're Terry ;).

What I mean with an "active" port is a 10 BaseT/100 BaseT ethernet port that
is active according to Apple's System Profiler (that is, if you are using a
cross-over cable), or a port on a hub/router that is always on (they are
"active" by default).

>> So, what is the 700 connected to? Another Mac? A hub? A printer? A cable
>> modem?
>
> 700 is connected to the AAUI adaptor (link and power lights working), the
> adaptor is connected to the cable, the cable is connected to the 8 port
> hub.

If all lights are on on the AAUI adapter the hardware side of things is
*probably* Ok.

>> If it's a hub: you should see a light on the hub indicating an active
>> computer at that port.
>
> presently the response at the hub is inconsistent. At this moment there
> is no active green light at the cable connection for the quadra. At other
> times I have had the connection and packet collision lights going.. then
> the port is partitioned with a constant light.

Ok, first things first -- try a *short* straight-through cable & hook up the
Q700 to hub. Then, power up. Set Ethernet in the AppleTalk control panel.
Restart if you have to. Try to login to a *known* good Mac also hooked up to
the hub. If that works, then you know your home-made cable is bad (important
to verify, even if it works on the printer).

Next, make sure that you are connected to a known good port!!! (very
important), or make sure that you are *not* hooking up to an "uplink" port
(i.e. port where you'd attach a 2nd hub/router/cable modem).

>> If it's a Mac: make sure that the other Mac is powered on, and has ethernet
>> active, before you turn on the 700.
>
> Been through uncountable restarts

For this to work you have to be hooked up to another Mac, directly, using a
cross-over cable.

>> You then have to tell the 700 to use
>> ethernet for TCP/IP or AppleTalk
>
> done done done
>
>> Are you using the right cables? Patch/crossover/direct/whatever?
>
> Hand connected 8 wire  twisted pair cables. As I need thirty feet, and
> have to push them through holes in the wall... and I have also tested the
> current cable for integrity on a nearby printer. It works. I'll try new
> connectors for the umteenth time.....
>
> The crossover cable is a good idea, but I still need to run the
> connection through the AAUI dongle, so that doesn't test whether the
> connector or the Motherboard port is the problem.

Ok, this is going to be pretty obvious but...
To test for dongle problems, try to find another computer which will accept
an AAUI adapter (nearly all pre-PPC Macs with ethernet, most pre-G3 PPCs).

To test for mobo problems (following above test), you'll need another
dongle.

BTW It might be wise to find a 700 to replace your machine, just in case.
I'm not quite there yet (I hate to part with her... the creature has served
me well for 8 years now), but I could possibly let my baby Q700 go... 20 MB
RAM, no HD (stripped 4 GB to put into my B&W G3).

PS Have you tried moving the Quadra back to its original location?

L8r, Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>