[GeoStL] Re: NGR- Camera Advice?

  • From: Glenn <potbellystove@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:09:14 -0500

-
Rich is probably not far off really.....

reposted from the forums.

Cameras. Hmm. that is about like asking what kind of GPS should I get. So far
lots of folks are spot on. Bear had good info and I have a Nikon coolpix of
some sort. Under ideal situations  (outside in natural light) it takes mighty
fine pictures. Outside of it's ideal conditions, not so much mostly because for
me it was the refresh rate on the flash was very slow and less than wonderful
but it was a little cheap camera. I think any other the other name brands would
be good.

I also have a nice flashy Nikon dSLR. It takes stunning pictures. Better
pictures than I am able to compose. I keep thinking i will grow into it's
capabilities. Mostly tho  I just throw it on AUTO and just let it do its thing
and it still takes magnificent pictures. So does the Cannons and sony's and all
the others.   It is complicated, heavy and gets more heavy the longer i have to
lug it around, I always have the wrong lens with me at any given time and I
dont carry it with me because it is another bag to wrangle around. So, it gets
drug out for "special occasions". When I was looking at cameras and had decided
on the Nikon a good friend suggested the thought, "Do your *really* need a big
spiffy SLR? "Heck yea, I want to take pictures as good as Timmy."   3 years
later I am thinking , "did I really needs a flashy dSLR?"  ummm, probably not.
I will never take pictures as good as Timmy. It IS nice but really, I could
have gotten something else and saved a ton of money. I do love the Nikon tho.

'Cause I have a dandy camera people think I know actually about stuff (mistake
#1) and ask me what is the best camera for them.

Aside from all the technical stuff about color reproduction, mega pixals,
Sensor size  and all of that I think the best camera is the one that you always
 have in your pocket when you need to take a shot. In my case the better
technical camera is my  dSLR Nikon that I never carry but the better real life
camera is the one on my iphone. Not so technical but I always have it and take
pictures everyday.    In most cases the camera I have with me WILL NOT  be the
big Nikon.  I think finding something that is capable that you will carry in
your shirt pocket or your moms purse that can be whipped out at a moments
notice, flipped on and snap a picture without all the jacking around that the
big cameras take would be good.   A  once in a lifetime picture that is missed
leaves you with nothing.    A less than "perfect" quality picture that you DID
get is worth more than 1000 words.

I wont sell my Nikon but i never have it when it counts.  Small, easy to use,
always at hand I think is good.
===
Side note observation. My last several phones had cameras. The camera on the
AT&T tilt was OK but I can only remember taking a couple pictures with it. For
some reason it just wasn't "handy" even tho I always had it with me.  The
camera in the iPhone is by all technical standards, not that great BUT it is
handy as the dickens. Whip it out, snap snap,  instantly send to grandma or
upload to my smugMug  online photo place, or to facebook ect... handy as heck
and the pictures are really "pretty good".We went to the zoo the a couple weeks
ago and I left the big camera at home (too heavy to lug around)  so it was
iPhone camera all the way and to my surprise it worked out very well .
On May 17, 2010, at 11:30 PM, Mike Maryan wrote:

> -
> Thanks Rich, did you buy one after the war?  I can't remember which side you
> were on, The North or The South?  LOL
>
> I couldn't stop laughing after your message!
>
>> From: GC-RGS@xxxxxxxxxx
>> To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: [GeoStL] Re: NGR- Camera Advice?
>> Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 20:45:31 -0500
>>
>> -
>> Mike,
>>
>> I think you should be looking at a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. It's point and
>> shoot, no worry about focus since the lens is fixed, uses standard
>> flashbulbs for those indoor shoots, film you can buy anywhere, never runs
>> out of batteries except for the flash, and light weight since it's all
>> plastic. And the manual is probably 2 pages, so easy to read on your Alaska
>> flight!
>>
>> You're welcome; that's what we're here for.

from this