[GeoStL] Re: NGR- Camera Advice?

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 10:58:17 -0500

-
I have a Nikon Coolpix. I know there are several different models, but
for the most part, it does well for me, and it is small enough that I
will actually take it with me whereas the SLR would have stayed home.

One of the quirks of the digital cameras that I truly hate is the fact
that after you press the button to take the picture, it actually takes
the picture about 5 minutes later, and a quick second shot because you
missed the first opportunity because of that delay take another five
minutes while it saves the first shot to the memory. That is when I come
to curse the digital cameras.

With regard to flash and sports. Unless you are going to go pro with a
lot of weight, you are not going to be happy with any flash unit. They
are limited in the distance they can cover. Any built in flash is going
to be inadequate. Even most external flash units will be inadequate
unless you can get close to the action. Even those are not going to work
well from the stands. The best bet there is to get a high speed "film".
I am not sure what the effective ASA speed is for digital, but if you
want to do sports, get one with a high speed and use available light.
When I was in college, I used to shoot basketball games using available
light, and in the darkroom push processing the film to an ASA of 2400.
Don't think push processing is a digital option.

On 5/17/2010 8:36 PM, Mike Maryan wrote:
> -
> Hey Slaga Photo Hounds,
>

> Can anyone make some suggestions about cameras for me? Like what you use and
> if you like it or not?
>

> I'm looking to buy a new camera for my parents for our trip to Alaska in a
> few weeks, I have been searching online and reading a bunch of reviews.  I am
> looking for something that is digital and easy to use for my mom!  I would
> like something that they can use to take pictures for good outdoor scenery
> for our trip but something that will also capture those action shots when
> taking pictures of my niece and nephews in all their sporting events and
> doesn't need extra flashes for those indoor musicals and concerts!  I am not
> looking to spend lots of money on a professional camera but would like
> something that is not cheap either!
>

> I like the Digital SLR cameras but I am looking at the digital point and
> shoots also!  I am looking in the $500 dollar range but not limited to that
> amount.  I would like something that will take good quality photos that they
> can also print photos on their Kodak Printer!   Could you also suggest places
> that you like buying your camera equipment from whether it be online or a
> local store!  I have about two weeks before we leave and would like to buy
> one this week so I have time to read the manual (yes I actually read manuals
> but my mom won't)!  Although I would have plenty of time to read it on the
> plane trip out there!!!
>

> Thanks ahead of time SLAGA folks!!!
>

> TheMadChef

>   Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived  http://tinyurl.com/87cqw