[bksvol-discuss] Re: who we are

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:23:10 -0800 (PST)

Very interesting.

Remember, too, that bookshare is for other disabled
people,also, whose disabilities affect their ability
to read books without some kind of aid--which is one
reason we try to keep the book's formatting, to some
extent.

I suppose awareness of bookshare as well as financial
ability would play a part in the number of
members--and  a lot of elderly people who lose their
sight are still not comfortable with computers. A
woman came into out bookstore last week who definitely
cold use bookshare and can afford it. She took
information about the site for her daughter but I
don't know what will come of it. I don't know exactly
what is wrong with her, and she must be able to see a
little bit, but when I look at her her eyes are
closed--she can't seem to open them. She had said she
needs books with large print and uses a mganifying
glass of some sort, but ... (she has an aide who helps
her walk).

Cindy