[bksvol-discuss] Re: question: Re: page breaks

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:13:45 -0600

Sorry,  comment is very relevant.  Basic form of navigation in Daysy is by
page.  In fact,  page nav is the only form currently supported
byBookshare/Daisy.  Remove page breaks and you have removed the only
feature which distinguish these documents from oldfashioned scrollable
text

Selfishly speaking at least,  page nav is exceedingly important.  I read
books in two forms:

1.  Directly with Kurzweil.

2.  converted to MP3,  page by page, on Bookcourier.

I usually read late evenings.  Usually fall asleep after a while.  Book
playback continues until timer stops it.  Next day I just pageback until I
find the last page of the book I remember truly hearing.  Very convenient,
very quick. No page breaks?  Very tedious rewinding with Kurzweil.  Would
be even more tedious with HJpad.

Both printed and electronic books also allow you to find your place by
performing a binary search.  Once again,  very fast in both cases. Printed
scrolls and electronic books without page breaks do not support this
search strategy.

At least printed scrolls stop scrolling as soon as the reader falls
asleep.
The genius who invented the watermill-powered self scrolling machine for
his Lord during the High Middle Ages,  was executed the next day the
master fell asleep on his book.
Pls see:  Evolutionary Dead Ends in Early Information Technology At The
Court Of Azzolino Da Romano, authored by Gavronsky and Roberta Antognini
in Aloysius Q. SchmaltzenStein Gavronsky  et Al. -- Satura Et Fictitia,
9th Ed,  Appenzell (CH) 1978,  pp 3590, 3591.

Regards,

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

"Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
12/10/2004 11:32 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

"bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: question: Re: page breaks

Guido,
Not an apt comparison at all. I explained how its no big deal to find
one's place in a novel without page breaks, and you come back with a flipp
remark about scrolls.  Why not take the response seriously and not fob it
off with a totally irrelevant comment? I trust the folks at BookShare will
not do that.
Mary