[bksvol-discuss] Re: mathematical books

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:06:14 -0800 (PST)

Rachel,

When I validated a book that had formulas for someone
I wrote the symbols out in English. Actually, my
computer will write a beta, and I think it stayed in,
but i didn't have symbols for the other things. I
down-loaded a Greek alphabet (I can send it to you if
you want) that had the words as well as the Greek
letters and put the formulas in words in brackets.

Fractions do come out all right if you make them
correct when you validate, by they don't scan
properly.

I suggest you do the same with the Hebrew as with the
Greek. I think superscript and subscript will be
retained, but when I read them (I'm sighted) I find
them very small, so I put footnotes that came out
superscript in parentheses instead. I'd suggest, if
you're not sure, writing the formula useing words,
e.g., either "seven to the fourth power" or seven
superscript four. I don't know enough math to give an
example of subscript (how are they used in math? I
never went beyond high schnool trig & solid geometry?)
but I think you could write that, too.

Just suggetions.

Cindy

http://my.yahoo.com