[bksvol-discuss] Re: mathematical books

  • From: "Rachel" <rherold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 08:17:26 -0800

From: "Cindy" <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
> As you probably know (some people are just starting
> and don't) there's no limit on the number of times one
> can renew.
yep, though it doesn't need to be renewed because i haven't submitted it
yet! I've got it scanned now it's a matter of going thru and making sure the
sentences are in the right order and redoing all the mathematical notations.

> I think the book you're doing will be very useful to
> some of the students.
This is actually just a fun book, not a textbook.  It is a book of everyday
reader level essays.  Some of the topics are "logic & proof", "cantorian set
theory and transfinite numbers", "group theory", "2 and 3 person game
theory", and non-euclidian geometry.

> When you have some time, can you explain what cantor's
> hypothesis is? In simple terms? or is that not
> possible. It sounds like something Reuven in Chaim
> Potok's The Chosen would have studied.
Well, Reuven was more into gematria, which does use numbers but not this
way, and psychology if I remember correctly.
The article I'm proofing currently is about cantor's proof of set theory for
rational and irrational numbers.  Cantor's set theory is what he is admired
for in the mathematical community.
Cantor's claim to general public level of fame though is his "proof"
(hypothesis) of infinity.  Which, if you think about it, could only be
proved to be not finite, but not actually infinite because we as humans
cannot prove something we have no way of describing, yet... His other claim
to general public fame was his many mental breakdowns during his
concentrated work on the infinity theory; my interpretation was that he
tweaked his mind trying to understand something that the human mind is not
able to comprehend;  his mind was not limber enough to adjust to his
learning without rebelling at times and shutting down to protect itself.
Rachel