[bksvol-discuss] Re: apostrophe as single quote

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:16:06 -0800 (PST)

Sarah,

I had to laugh, as your first paragraph describes me
perfectly. I'm always looking at the food ads on TV or
descriptions of food even without seeing them and
saying "Mmmm--that looks/sounds so good."

But on my keyboard, the grave symbol goes the opposite
way of an apostrophe.

I've learned that what I see and use doesn't apply
often  to what you all use and I keep telling myself
to stay out of the discussion, but then if no one has
answered yes, I do throw in my two-cents worth, which
turns up to be ab out as useful as wooden nickels.
smile

But you comment in the second paragraph about the
single quotes and apostrophes we see not being the
same when translated into formats that you can read
creates a dilemma. What is the alternative? Are the
symbols I discovered in the Insert file what I should
use for for single quotes? I'm guessing the ansswer is
Yes, and I should use the keyboard symbol only for
apostrophes. I never noticed those before and would
not have had not Robin or whoever it was just asked
the question.

Thank you both.

Cindy

--- Sarah Van Oosterwijck