[bksvol-discuss] Re: Rise And Fall Of The 3rd Reich

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:26:25 -0500

Hi all,

Translation errors from American to British go the other way too. If you're British, don't ask an American woman for a "rubber" or you might get slapped. That almost happened to one fellow I heard about who was taking an exam and tapped the girl in front of him on the shoulder and asked to borrow her "rubber". He was *really* surprised at the reaction! For those who don't know in England rubber = eraser.

I'll never forget my father's laughter when talking about an incident that happened to him at a cocktail party. He was in a group of people and they were chatting about the ice on the sidewalks and such. Somebody mentioned that she'd fallen on her "fanny".

One of our dear friends, named Joan, very British, said, "I was rather surprised when I first came to America because that word doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does here."

My father asked, "What does it mean, Joan?"

"Oh, George, I couldn't possibly tell you!" she exclamed.

"Oh, now Joan, you can tell *me*," replied my father.

Dad said she looked thoughtful for about thirty seconds and finally said, "Well, George, it's not aft it's fore."

Words, words, words they're a delight and a trouble and a marvelous thing too.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring