[bksvol-discuss] Re: Rise And Fall Of The 3rd Reich

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:48:15 -0700

I had a microbiology professor from South Africa.  He was obviously of
British descent & *very* proper.  1 day we had met on campus &
chit-chatted a moment.  As he was bidding me farewell, he said, "ok,
Jackie, keep your pecker up."  Well, of course, at first I was a bit
taken aback, then, realizing the phrase might have a different meaning
in his native land than here, I asked trying both to keep the surprise
off my face & struggling very hard not to just burst out in gaffaws,
"Uh, Dr. Shiff, do u know what that means over here?" "O, no, I guess
not," he replied, sounding a bit flustered.  "Well," I answered,
casting about for a tactful way to phrase it, "a pecker here is that
portion of the male anatomy that rises to the occasion."  Obviously
highly embarrassed, he responded, "o, no!  A pecker is that part of
the bird that, well, you know--pecks.  It's somewhat similar to, what
do u say here--keep your chin up."  Smiling, I reassured him, stating
that I was glad he'd done that w/me rather than some1 else.  I think
he was, too.  I still laugh about that.

Jackie McBride
& Check out my homepage at:
www.abletec.serverheaven.net