[bksvol-discuss] Re: Rise And Fall Of The 3rd Reich

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:43:01 -0500

Hi all,

Guido, you have encountered another English phrase whose meaning has changed over the years. The verb "to arouse" actually used to mean to awaken. Notice the dictionary definition below. Nowadays, the word is used to connote sexual awakening, if you will. This meaning has become the most frequent usage instead of the original connotation. <smiling> Yes, it is funny, to be sure!

3 definitions found

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

 Arouse \A*rouse"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Aroused}; p. pr. & vb.
    n. {Arousing}.] [Pref. a- + rouse.]
    To excite to action from a state of rest; to stir, or put in
    motion or exertion; to rouse; to excite; as, to arouse one
    from sleep; to arouse the dormant faculties.
    [1913 Webster]

          Grasping his spear, forth issued to arouse
          His brother, mighty sovereign on the host. --Cowper.
    [1913 Webster]

          No suspicion was aroused.                --Merivale.
    [1913 Webster]

From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

 arouse
      v 1: call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses); "arouse
           pity"; "raise a smile"; "evoke sympathy" [syn: {elicit},
            {enkindle}, {kindle}, {evoke}, {fire}, {raise}, {provoke}]
      2: stop sleeping; "She woke up to the sound of the alarm clock"
         [syn: {wake up}, {awake}, {awaken}, {wake}, {come alive},
         {waken}] [ant: {fall asleep}]
      3: evoke or call forth, with or as if by magic; "raise the
         specter of unemployment"; "he conjured wild birds in the
         air"; "stir a disturbance"; "call down the spirits from
         the mountain" [syn: {raise}, {conjure}, {conjure up}, {invoke},
          {evoke}, {stir}, {call down}, {bring up}, {put forward},
         {call forth}]
      4: cause to be alert and energetic; "Coffee and tea stimulate
         me"; "This herbal infusion doesn't stimulate" [syn: {stimulate},
          {brace}, {energize}, {energise}, {perk up}] [ant: {de-energize},
          {de-energize}, {sedate}]
      5: cause to become awake or conscious; "He was roused by the
         drunken men in the street"; "Please wake me at 6 AM."
         [syn: {awaken}, {wake}, {waken}, {rouse}, {wake up}] [ant:
          {cause to sleep}]
      6: to begin moving, "As the thunder started the sleeping
         children began to stir" [syn: {stir}]
      7: stimulate sexually; "This movie usually arouses the male
         audience" [syn: {sex}, {excite}, {turn on}, {wind up}]

From Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0 [moby-thes]:

 145 Moby Thesaurus words for "arouse":
    aggravate, agitate, alarm, alert, anger, animate, annoy, awake,
    awaken, bestir, blow the coals, blow up, bring forth, bring out,
    bring to light, bristle, call forth, call out, call up, chafe,
    challenge, cry havoc, cry wolf, deduce, derive, drag out,
    draw forth, draw out, dynamize, educe, electrify, elicit, embitter,
    encourage, energize, enkindle, enliven, enrage, evoke, exasperate,
    excite, exhilarate, fan, fan the fire, fan the flame,
    feed the fire, ferment, fire, flame, fly storm warnings, foment,
    foster, frenzy, fret, frighten, galvanize, get from, get out of,
    hearten, heat, heat up, huff, impassion, incense, incite, induce,
    inflame, infuriate, instigate, invigorate, irritate, jazz up,
    key up, kindle, knock up, lather up, light the fuse, light up,
    liven, madden, miff, move, nettle, obtain, overexcite, peeve,
    pep up, perk up, pique, procure, provoke, put up to, quicken,
    raise, raise up, rally, rankle, revive, rile, roil, rouse, ruffle,
    secure, set astir, set fire to, set on, set on fire, set up,
    shake up, sic on, snap up, sound the alarm, sound the tocsin,
    spark, startle, steam up, stimulate, stir, stir the blood,
    stir the embers, stir the feelings, stir up, summon forth,
    summon up, thrill, tickle, turn on, vex, vitalize, wake, wake up,
    waken, wangle, wangle out of, warm, warm the blood, warn, whet,
    whip up, winkle out, work into, work up, worm out, worm out of,
    zip up

Hope this helps you to understand the continuing fluidity of our language. It's like words such as ordinary or gay, their meanings have changed over time.

Ann P.