[bksvol-discuss] Re: Paragraph Breaks

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 14:07:05 -0500

Thank you, Judy. That was one of the settings that I had just left in the default mode because I didn't understand what it was for. I just now changed it. For right now, though, I am holding off on starting another book until Beverly finds out if the four books that I have already scanned can be repaired. I might try scanning a single page later on to find out if it works though.

___

Sam Harris
“Are you really surprised by the endurance of religion? What ideology is likely
to be more durable than one that conforms, at every turn, to our powers of
wishful thinking? Hope is easy; knowledge is hard. Science is the one domain in
which we human beings make a truly heroic effort to counter our innate biases
and wishful thinking. Science is the one endeavor in which we have developed a
refined methodology for separating what a person hopes is true from what he has
good reason to believe. The methodology isn't perfect, and the history of
science is riddled with abject failures of scientific objectivity. But that is
just the point-these have been failures of science, discovered and corrected
by-what, religion? No, by good science.”
― Sam Harris

On 11/16/2020 1:19 AM, Judy wrote:

Hi Roger,

I think from your description that an OpenBook setting has gotten biffed somehow.  I remembered someone else who used OpenBook running into this, so I searched the list archive to see if they had the solution, and found this. Maybe it's worth taking a look at in your settings?

Here's the email I found:
* * *
I could have swarn that a month or so ago, maybe, that someone had a question about which settings were best for OpenBook 9 to get paragraphs that didn't all run together.

You will want to go to:

Settings

then down to workflow settings

recognition default strategy: I think is "ballanced" by default, which would make each page formatted as if it were a single paragraph, so don't use that, as I did.  Instead, change the setting from "ballanced" to:

Recognition default strategy: Most Accurate

The paragraphs will be formatted correctly, with a blank line between each paragraph.
* * *

Let us know if that might be it!

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/QuakersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuakersNCheese>

On 11/15/2020 8:58 PM, Roger Loran Bailey (Redacted sender rogerbailey81 for DMARC) wrote:
Recently three of my scans were rejected due to insufficient paragraph breaks. I scan one page at a time and read through it listening to the Karen synthetic voice for errors before scanning the next page. Then every two pages I do a spell check. While listening to the read through I find that it reads smoothly and if there are missing paragraph breaks I don't know about it. This is all really time consuming and to have all my work just trashed is rather upsetting. This is exactly the kind of thing that seriously tempts me to just quit volunteering. These books  I have been doing lately are not even the kinds of books that I am interested in. They are just books that have been culled from a large trove of books from a friends of library sale and were culled solely on the basis that they were not in the Bookshare collection. So not only have I been putting in a lot of work on them, but I have been boring myself too.

Anyway, when the rejections started coming I began examining the book I was working on at the time. I was closing in on finishing it. That one does have paragraph breaks, but I don't think it has all of them. So here is my first question. Does anyone have any idea if some setting in my Open Book 9.0 software has changed and if so which setting it might be? It has been a long time since I have changed those settings, at least consciously, because I have them exactly the way I wanted them. Also, some of the settings have never been changed. There are settings that I don't understand and have left at the default because I expect that if I go messing with something I don't understand I might mess up things completely.

Let me add, though, that I have reason to suspect that the problem is not my settings. That is because, for one thing, not all of the paragraph breaks are missing, at least not in my most recent scan. Also, it seems that when I apply extra pressure to the book when scanning, to the point of my arms trembling with the strain, there are more paragraph breaks. However, even then I don't think I am picking up all of them.

Second, I think I see a possible fix for the rejected scan and the one that I have now finished but have not yet submitted. While looking through the pages I was scanning after I got the news of my rejected scan I noticed something about the missing paragraph breaks. I am not really good at telling where one paragraph ends and another one begins unless it is in dialog. In dialog every time another character begins speaking a new paragraph starts. I noticed that when this happened and there was no paragraph break there was an extra space between the last quotation mark and the next one, sometimes three spaces. Then when looking for the same thing in the narrative I did find two, sometimes three, spaces between the last word of a sentence and the beginning of the next at just the points at which it would make sense for a new paragraph to start. So I think I see the fix. If these double or triple spaces were globally replaced with paragraph breaks that should do the job. However, I am doing all my work in Open Book and it has limited word processing capabilities. That is why I scan books rather than proofread them. So here is my proposal. If one of you would volunteer to take it I could upload one of my rejected scans again with a hold on it for you. You could try that global replacement I suggested providing that you think it is feasible and then proofread the book. I propose the one that I was told was one big paragraph from beginning to end. That was Lost River by Paxton Riddle. It is a novelization of actual historical events, conflict between the Modoc people of Northern California and the white settlers in the mid nineteenth century. The author is a descendant of the main characters, a Modoc woman and a white man who were married just as the conflict was breaking out. I would like to upload this book alone until I find out if my proposed fix will work. If it does then whoever takes it can inform me and I will be back to ask if anyone wants the other three. If it doesn't work then I suppose I will have to reconsider my options from that point. Anyone interested? The first to offer will get the hold.

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.