[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT listening to DAISY books

  • From: Denise Thompson <deniset@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:10:36 -0700

Jill
I'm responding to your question about Daisy listening on list since Scott expressed an interest as well. Mine has been a journey of sorts. For a while I listened to them using Code Factory's Mobile Daisy Player, but when BKS went to the Daisy 3 format the books no longer worked with that software very well. I guess I should say for those who aren't familiar with Mobile Daisy Player, it is a software that runs on Nokia smart phones using the Symbian operating system. Either Talks or Mobile Speak work as screen readers on these phones. After mobile daisy player stopped working, I unpacked the books and opened them upin Internet Explorer and copied them to NotePad to save as text files. I always thought it was so interesting that as a volunteer I scan and proof books that are converted to daisy only to download them to read myself and convert them back to text files. Then I could load the text files onto my phone again and use a little free ware program called BRead that also works on Symbian phones to listen to them. A couple of years ago, Talks- the screen reader- came out with Daisy-2-go free to use with Talk on Symbian phones, but it didn't support daisy3 so I still continued to convert back to text to listen on my phone. However about two weeks ago the latest update for Talks included a new version of Daisy-2-go which now supports daisy 3 books. So I've been going crazy listening to my daisy books on my phone. It's great not to have to take that extra couple of steps to convert the books back to text files. The screen reader Talks uses Eloquence speech which I'm used to with Jaws so I'm a very happy camper reading my little heart out. I like using my phone because it cuts down on having to carry one more device with me.
A rather long answer, but there you have it. (smile)
Denise

At 01:42 PM 8/13/2010, you wrote:
I would be very interested to know how those of you who do not read braille, listen to your Bookshare books, particularly in a portable form so you don't have to remain tethered to your computer. I believe the general opinion that doing this with the Victor Stream voices is very unsatisfactory. I understand that converting to MP3 from Kurzweil is a possibility, but is anyone doing so in other ways. As this is somewhat OT, you can contact me off list at jillocon@xxxxxxxxxxxx Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.