[bksvol-discuss] Monday's meeting

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:24:14 -0500

Hi Marissa,

Not that you probably want it, but another thing you could ask on Monday is why so many formats are needed for submitters? I know BRF and RTF are necessary, and TXT should probably be kept even though they are causing many headaches, but why do we need to provide:
BBX (Bookshare.org Book),
DOC (Microsoft Word),
DSY (Daisy),
HTML (Web Browser Format),
WYN (WYNN),
formats to the average submitter?
Actually, I'm not sure if it is possible to submit in BBX format, or if it is just a Bookshare internal format, as I don't even know what it is.
I also only remember ever coming across 1 WYN file, and the person that validated it said it was the wrong format, it was either a RTF or BRF file incorrectly placed.
I would also be highly suspicious of the source of any DSY file someone might submit as a scan, as I can't imagine any scanning software creating one at this point.
As all these file types are required to be converted to RTF before they are accepted, why not just require the submitter to do it? After all, they're the ones making the big bucks, and it would also help in keeping junk characters from being introduced by different versions of the same program.
I understand that as validaters we would still come across some of these file types when the source is either a publisher, or a large collection, that has been contributed, but there doesn't seem to be a good reason for exasperating the situation by so many choices for submitters. Sometimes fewer choices are better, as they cause less confusion.
I would also like to mention again it would be nice if the software engineers could incorporate a program to convert TXT files to RTF files, maintaining the page breaks, during the process the system checks the submission for viruses, zips them, etc. I know there are a few open architecture free conversion programs out there for Linux systems, so it wouldn't seem like that big of a deal. If nothing else, it would cut down on this page break issue coming up as often as it does.
As I find that I am typing double words, I have come to the conclusion it is time for another cup of coffee. When you get in this morning, read this, and realize it is just more aggravation for you, just hit that magic delete key and pretend it never happened. After all, it's Friday.

Dave