[bksvol-discuss] Re: Monday's meeting

  • From: "Gisela Vazquez" <gvazquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:40:38 -0500

snipping for brevity:

However, let us not forget the spirit upon which BookShare is based.  It
is not professional scanners -- though some of us are contributing vast
amount of material either through scanning or validating -- but it is a
medium for individuals to share what they've done.
And since folks for themselves don't necessarily strive for perfection,
what they attempt to contribute will be just that.

Sorry, not trying to be too contentious here, but what Mike says makes a lot of sense to me.

I think most of us could agree with this. I do holeheartedly. I'd rather have a not perfectly scanned book, then not have it at all. That's why bookshare is so awesome. It gives us access to things we would not ordenarily be able to read, and it does it in a timely mannor. For a while, as corny as it sounds one of the best moments of my day was to come home from a looonnng day and go to bookshare. It didn't mean I'd download a book but just to see what had been added would have me smiling even if I was grumpy or upset.

Gisela