[bksvol-discuss] Re: Google Desktop Broke my Bookshare Books

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:37:41 -0500

Hi, Allison. There are two issues that I think are causing you to get these results. Google didn't break your Bookshare files. It was displaying content in its default mode. Taking a few minutes to go into the Google Desktop settings is important because that's where you can disable the sidebar, tell Google what files to index, assign a hotkey for doing a quick search, and tell Google how you want search results displayed. Since Google Desktop isn't written specifically for blind people, they keep the visual eye candy enabled by default. Unchecking boxes for that and defining what browser you want Google to use makes the program run faster and more comfortably for a blind user. It's important to read the help files when installing a new program so you can see how to get the most from the software. Most programs aren't optimized for speech users by default and have options you can set to make them work better with your screenreader.

In this case, since you've uninstalled the Google program, you will only need to restore IE to its normal appearance. First, go to tools, internet options, and set IE to use a blank home page. Tab over to the ok button and press enter to get out of there. Then, in IE's main window, try turning off any explorer bars that are checked. It's under the view menu under explorer bar in IE 7. I no longer use IE 6 on any of our computers, and I can't give you the steps for that browser. They should be similar though. Once you have done this, close IE and try loading one of your Bookshare html files.

Monica Willyard