[AR] Re: cubesat data rates question

  • From: Jonathan Goff <jongoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 08:41:27 -0700

I know a company working on a concept for low-cost intersatellite links,
but first-gen concept is not cubesat-scale (though probably workable for
sats in the next size range up). They're planning on communicating with
some MEO satellites (I think the O3b Networks satellites up at around
8000km). They had some clever way of handling the doppler shifting and beam
steering issues. Altius is kind of interested in the technology, since we
want a low-latency comms arrangement for some long-term telerobotic
projects. The current ~1s round-trip latency you get through TDRS makes a
lot of telerobotic tasks a *lot* harder than if you could get down into the
100-200ms round-trip-latency range.

~Jon

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Aplin Alexander T <ATAPLIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx