[AR] Re: cubesat data rates question

  • From: Henry Hallam <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 21:46:47 -0800

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 7:11 PM, JOHN HALPENNY <j.halpenny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Have any of these satellites tried to pass data on to a phone network in
> order to get results down without waiting for a pass?  Or is it:
> - technically difficult?
> - expensive?
> - just not worth the trouble?

(4) regulatorily difficult - at least that was the main reason why we
(Planet Labs) didn't go with Iridium etc.  You need a whole different
set of (expensive) licenses from the FCC for space-to-space, and you
have to convince Iridium that it's worthwhile doing their end of that
process for what is a relatively small customer.

But it certainly is appealing, particularly for low-rate telemetry and
commanding.  It would be great to have your satellite phone home
seconds after it's deployed from the launcher.